2016 – 2017
Uli Hellweg heads the planning and consulting office HELLWEG URBAN CONCEPT. He advises cities and municipalities on the development of large urban development areas and projects and moderates complex urban planning procedures. Uli Hellweg also works as a city planner. In 2016 he wins the international urban planning competition “Mesto Malina” (Bratislava/Malacky) together with Peter Droege, Liechtenstein Institute for Strategic Development (LISD), Vaduz, and Eduard Balcell’s Architecture+Urbanism+ Landscape, Barcelona.
Since March 2018 Uli Hellweg is Chairman of the Deutscher Werkbund Berlin e.V.
2014 – 2015
From 2014 to 2015 he worked as the Director of IBA Hamburg GmbH, which, as a public redevelopment company, is in charge of more than 5,000 homes and 125,000 square metres gross floor area of commercial, services and trade facilities in Hamburg’s Mitte and Harburg districts.
Since March 2015 Hellweg is managing partner of HELLWEG URBAN CONCEPT.
2006 – 2013
From September 2006 to late 2013 Uli Hellweg was the Director of the International Building Exhibition Hamburg GmbH. Under his leadership more than 1.700 dwellings, 100.000 sqm office and commercial space, social infrastructure for elderly people, eight education facilities (schools, day nurseries), four sport and leisure facilities, 71,5 ha parks, 2.7 km new waterways and civil engineering infrastructure has been built (total investment 1,25 bn €).
1992 – 1996
From 1992 to 1996 Hellweg was Head of the Department of Planning and Construction in Kassel. He subsequently worked as the director of various other companies, including Wasserstadt GmbH (Berlin), DSK (Wiesbaden) and agora s.a.r.l. (Luxembourg).
1980 – 1992
After working as a researcher at the Deutsches Institut für Urbanistik (DIFU) in Berlin and as Head of the Urban Planning Office in Gelsenkirchen, he oversaw, from 1980 to 1987, capacity building and pilot projects for the International Building Exhibition Berlin GmbH – 1984/’87. From 1987 to 1992 he coordinated the urban renewal activities of S.T.E.R.N. GmbH, the successor company to the IBA, based in Berlin Moabit.
He studied Architecture at the Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule (RWTH) in Aachen, where he graduated in 1976. His dissertation was awarded the Hünnebeck Prize by RWTH Aachen.
Uli Hellweg is a member of the Berlin Chamber of Architects, the German Academy for Urban Planning and Regional Planning, the German Werkbund, the Architekturforum Zürich and the Konvent Baukultur of the Bundesstiftung Baukultur. Since 2016 Uli Hellweg is Chairman of the Advisory Board of IBA Thuringia, since March 2018 Chairman of the Deutscher Werkbund Berlin e.V.
- Hünnebeck Preis der Rheinisch-Westfälischen Technischen Hochschule Aachen (RWTH AACHEN UNIVERSITY)
- Sempermedaille des Architekturzentrums Hamburg
- German Urban Development Prize (Deutscher Städtebaupreis) 2002 for the project “Refoundation of Downtown Kassel” (”Wiedergründung der Kasseler Unterneustadt”)
- German Urban Development Prize (Deutscher Städtebaupreis) 2008 for the project Rummelsburg Bay in Berlin (Rummelsburger Bucht)
- Numerous awards in the framework of the International Building Exhibitione Hamburg 2013 (IBA Hamburg 2013), e.g. German Urban Development Prize (Deutscher Städtebaupreis) 2014 (http://www.iba-hamburg.de/en/story/prizes-and-awards.html)